Nice tips for finding untagged files at the command line.
Dan Moren over at Six Colors lists a few really good fixes for Notification Center. First let us set a time out for notifications (presumably either by app or global) The add the oft requested “clear all” button. Finally a sort feature.
“Silver” brings Apple’s Swift language to the .NET and Java worlds. It brings the language not the Cocoa libraries though. Sounds like they added exceptions to let Swift work with .NET or Java better. (Personally I think Apple should add exceptions too, but I know people at Apple really don’t like exceptions and use them just for a very limited set of errors)
- 85Nick Lockwood has one of the best discussions of Swift exceptions I’ve found both in terms of design, problems and benefits.
- 63There were some big changes to Swift this week. The most surprisingly controversial one was the adding of “exceptions.” I put those in quotes because they are quite unlike traditional exceptions in C++, C#, Java or Python even though I’ve called them Pythonesque at times.[1. I think I called them…
- 44How to merge Apple Photos libraries. Unfortunately requires sufficient iCloud space.
You can turn Spotlight indexing for network drives from the command line. Thought more people knew about this. Well worth doing if you have a shared set of drives but don’t use OS X Server.
A nice collection of Keyboard Maestro macros. Some of these are obvious and if you’d use them you’d probably figure them out. Some of them are a bit more clever so it’s worth reading through the list and perhaps downloading them.
- 42Launchbar action for browsing your Keyboard Maestro macros. This seems really useful. I’ve not tried it out yet.
A tool for creating gif screencasts of your terminal: mkcast. I might start using this here, despite how lousy animated gifs are as a format. (HT: One Thing Well)
Why iOS needs better backup. Problem is restoring just individual small bits.
- 40A few years back at the predecessor of this blog[1. While I had a backup of the blog, the database format Word Perfect used had changed meaning I couldn’t easily restore the data at the new site. I’m sure it was the sort of thing that had I worked at…